Thursday, September 27, 2007

There Seems To Be A Mystery?

Through-out my life I have been puzzled by the number of people and myself included on some occasions saying "I wish I knew what God's will was." It's said in many different ways but they all come down to the fact that God's will seems to be a mystery. There was a man at the center yesterday and we asked him to do a 2 hour session once a month. He checked his schedule and it was open. He named off 5 or 6 people that could assist in some sort of rotation so that it may be only once every two or three months. He even said he needed places for these worshippers to develop. But...... he stopped and said I love this place, I'm in support of what you're doing at the center, so I'll go back and pray about it. I hear this all the time and not just at the center. I do not want to say that this person will not return because in fact he ended up committing to one session next month, but most who tell me that they will go and pray about it don't come back and say anything. Then six months later they reappear and apologize etc., etc., etc..
So in my analytical mind I began to analyse what the person might be thinking or saying. I mean all I did was ask him to come and pray or lead prayer for a session. Why wouldn't God want them to pray? This person leads a team that is all about prayer and worship. So it's not that they are unfamiliar with the task. They also said they needed a place for their new worshippers to develop. That's what we make available at the center and he already said he loved the place. So I don't get it? What is there to pray about. Schedule is clear, there is a bond for what both ministries do, we need worshippers and he needs places for worshippers. Is it possible that just the fact that we were sitting together that it is God's will? I did not have to pray about it because it has been a part of my prayer time for over a year. God we need worshippers to accomplish Prayer as Worship 24/7/365. This person is my provision! Right! I went to immediate thanks for God's provision but hand to slam the brakes on until they pray about it?
I'm sorry, this is just some venting, yes some frustration. I do apologize if this offends anyone reading it. It is not my intention to offend. I am trying to understand for myself. Perhaps I am the one who needs to go back and ask God ........................................... something? I'm not quite sure what, but something?
Am I presumptuous to think that I know God's will? I use this illustration all the time. Let's say your mother baked cookies for you and she baked three different kinds. She put some of each on the plate and told you to have some cookies. You then select between chocolate chip, peanut butter, and raisin. Your mother gave you the choice. She knows that you will select the cookies that you want and that you will eat them. She does not sit there and mumble under her breath that you had better pick the raisin ones or you're in trouble. If she wanted you to have the raisin ones she would have one baked just the raisin ones or she would have only offered the raisin ones. Am I wrong in thinking that God is that way? God serves up a day for me by giving me breath. There is a buffet of life choices for me to select from. Do I need to ask if I can have chocolate chip if it's on the buffet. Am I misguided to think that God is big enough to get me to where he wants me to go should a specific destination be on His mind. So long as my selecting my favorite cookie brings honor and glory to Him can't I have whatever flavor cookie I desire?

No comments: