Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Truth or Dare?

Ananias and Sapphira dared God! I do not ever want to be in the position of daring God to do or not do anything. If it was so important for them to be associated with the congregation of believers then why not be one? Why "secretly" hold back anything?
Acts 5:7-11 Not more than three hours later, his wife, knowing nothing of what had happened, came in. Peter said, "Tell me, were you given this price for your field?" "Yes," she said, "that price." Peter responded, "What's going on here that you connived to conspire against the Spirit of the Master? The men who buried your husband are at the door, and you're next."
Peter obviously knew the truth but asked the question anyway. I'd like to think that he (through the leading of the Spirit) was giving her the opportunity to make things right. But once you're into deception or any sin it is difficult to get yourself out. Sin gets a grip and is relentless when it comes to keeping what it has. I think I would have been wondering why Peter is asking me this. Peter let's Sapphira know that her sin is not against him or any man but against God and then pronounces her dead. DEAD! DEAD AND BURIED! It doesn't appear that she even has time to comprehend what Peter says before she dies. I'm not sure that the shock of his words even has time to make sense to her. "My husband dead?" "Two men buried who?" "I'm what?" Poof.... she's dead!
No sooner were the words out of his mouth than she also fell down, dead. When the young men returned they found her body. They carried her out and buried her beside her husband.
The two men just finish burying Ananias and they now have another. I'll bet the news traveled real fast.

11By this time the whole church and, in fact, everyone who heard of these things had a healthy respect for God. They knew God was not to be trifled with.
Is there any wonder that this congregation had a healthy respect for God? I'm sure they did all know that God was not to be trifled with.
I can not help but wonder if my respect for God is healthy? Am I fully convinced that God is not to be trifled with? Perhaps I have exchanged my healthy respect for God with an unhealthy presumption of mercy and grace?

No comments: