Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Why Doesn't God Explain - Chapter 25

Assumption #2 - Perhaps God keeps us ignorant because we are incapable of comprehending the answer.
Interesting? God keeps me ignorant? No... Philip, I can't say that I agree with that. The word ignorant means lacking in knowledge or training. It's true enough that I am lacking in knowledge and training, but as for God keeping me in that state? I don't think so. He is constantly.... shall we say, spoon feeding me with knowledge and training. So for the moment let's just cut those words out of assumption number two. We can get rid of the word "because" as well. That leaves us with, "We are incapable of comprehending the answer."
Okay. If I am incapable of comprehending the answers then would it be safe to say that it is because God, in His creation of me, long before the foundation of the earth, handicapped me? Yet, on the other hand He has given me all things pertaining to life. So is it possible that I don't need the knowledge that I'm seeking? Adam and Eve were inticed to know what God knew and we all know how that worked out for them. Or should I say for all of us! Yet today I have such a craving to be in the know. Perhaps.... I come by it honestly. God is all knowing, right? Then if I am made in His image and likeness isn't it natural for me to want to know as well? Sorry, this gibberish may be more of a distraction than a help. Back to the questions at hand.
I am a tiny creature, on a tiny planet, in a remote galaxy. Is it possible for me to understand or fathom the grand design of the universe. Am I able to describe color to a blind person? Can I explain a Mozart symphony to a deaf person? Am I able to share the theory of relativity to a person like myself who doesn't even know about an atom?
Anthropologist report that they took a tribe of indigenous tribesmen in Papua New Guinea and showed them a photograph of the forest that they actually lived in. The tribesmen only saw marks and splotches of color on a sheet of flat paper. The anthropologist concluded that the tribesmen through experience, must learn to "see" that the two dimensional photograph actually contains three-dimensional images of birds, tree, waterfalls, etc. The tribesmen were unable to comprehend the photograph. The things they could not "see" in the photograph provided life for them on a day to day basis.
Imagine for a moment that you are trying to communicate with a creature on a microscope slide. The "universe" to the creature consists of only two-dimensions, the flat plane of the glass slide; it cannot perceive anything beyond the edges. You, looking "from above" not only understand the two-dimensional world of the creature but the three-dimensional world surrounding it. That being said, What exists outside of my perception of the world, or more relevantly, what exists outside of my perception of God?
See in every attempt to answer the questions of God's unfairness, silence, and hiddenness, there comes another question. I sense that, that very bit of information has value. I just don't know exactly what the value is yet.

No comments: