Monday, August 20, 2007

SHOULDN'T IT BE EASIER?

I have spent much time in Philip Yancey's book Disappointment with God. While there was some scripture, it was not predominate in my estimation. I shared many times how the book caused me more question than it gave answers. And in the end I arrived at the same place previous searches have taken me. Today I go to the word and some verses that I have studied before. I will also get assistance from Websters Dictionary. Hebrews 5:11 says, "but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn." He could have been talking about me?
The basic premise for my journey is clear and simple........ so I think for right now. Here goes....
Out of a REVELATION of the RELATIONSHIP of God as Father, I will apply a correct RESPONSE. I don't really think apply is the perfect word. Perhaps, know, have, understand, walk-in.... not sure which fits best. I do know that, I believe, I will be more likely, more susceptible to both will and do His good work. So translate that into any word that fits.
Matthew 11:28-29 are verses that describe relationship. they also describe the practical application for getting a revelation of the relationship, which directs us to a correct response in this life.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ([relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29 (AMP)
Let's examine the words of these verses. "Come to Me"
Come: enter into being or existence; be born:
To: (used for expressing aim, purpose, or intention):
Me: the nominative singular pronoun, used by a speaker in referring to himself or herself.
The word "come" and it's definition presents a world of vast differences among people. I think that in order to get the meaning of these three words you have to start with the last word and work backwards. After all "Me" here, is the focus or central thought of these first three words.
"ME." In this case the "ME" is God. Job thought he knew God but came to find out that He was mistaken. Then Job answered the LORD and said: “I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. You asked, ‘Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said, ‘I will question you, and you shall answer Me.’ “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.”
That's why my journey is not about finding ministry or fulfilling my passion or what great thing I could do for mankind on behalf of God. I have heard of God by the hearing of my ear, but now my eye sees God. I am learning to hold everything accountable to that purpose. God is not just another acquaintance or stranger I pass by on the street. I love the idea that God is my Friend, my Daddy, but I never want this casual way of addressing God to dull my senses as to His Majesty.
When Jesus teaches the disciples how to pray He says, "When you pray, pray like this, Our Father Who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name." There are times when my casual greeting and conversation with God is appropriate but to accomplish what this verse is describing to me.... well I think it will take a more than "Hey God, how ya doing."
When considering the "Me" there can be no question. God is absolutely clear.
Isaiah 66:2 Says the LORD. “ But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word.
No explanation or definition needed.
Psalm 25:9 He leads the humble in what is right, and the humble He teaches His way.
Since humility is rare in today's society I will give Webster's definition of humble.
Humble: Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful. Showing deferential or submissive respect:

No comments: