Tuesday, August 21, 2007

SHOULDN'T IT BE EASIER? - Part 2

We're looking at Matthew 11:28-29. We started with the first line, "Come to Me," but with the last word "Me" and are working backwards. Honestly if we were to just study the "Me" and really get a grasp on it we would not need to go any further. I say that to document for readers that I in no way believe for one moment that I did "Me" justice in the few words that I wrote yesterday. To do the "Me" justice I would write of nothing else for the rest of my life.
"Come to Me" The word for today is "to." Webster says, (used for expressing aim, purpose, or intention) Remember we're working backwards, so the expressed aim, purpose or intention here is toward the "Me." It is not random, accidental, or unintentional. or should I say, "It's not supposed to be , but often can be or is?"
My mind has this thing for complicating things. It occurs to me that ones ability must be considered when taking aim, that there are degrees of purpose and types of intentions.
Consider for a moment a person who is given a bow and arrow for the first time and then told to take aim at the target and hit the bulls eye. Then consider a person who has had some lessons on how to use that same bow and arrow. They now stand side by side and are presented with the challenge of aiming at the center of the target and hitting it with their arrow. One has a small amount of ability and the other... well they have improved their ability. Another element is what we are aiming at. For me the target is not the same as it was a year ago. I am taking aim on something totally different than in days, months and years gone by. The "Me" has become my very precise target. 2 Corinthians 5:9 Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him.
I can think of many people who have great focus or purpose in many or all areas of life. Then I can think of people who live life randomly. I have two kids and at one time to a large degree both have been very purposed in what they wanted out of life and where they were going. Recently they both have taken some very random steps away from all that they had purposed to accomplish in previous years. What happened to their purpose? Perhaps what we purpose in life is to small to capture our attention and effort. My purpose has not changed but it is narrowing down, becoming very precise. Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
Intentions..... intentions are not enough. We can do something with the best intentions and fail miserably. I can tell someone something for their own good or the with the best intentions and yet wound them deeply. I have intended to seek the Lord with all my heart, mind and soul but have missed Him on many occasions. My intentions dwell deep within me and it requires time and great effort to discover my true intentions. This is the area that is easiest for me to be deceived. Proverbs 12:2 A good man obtains favor from the LORD, But a man of wicked intentions He will condemn. Favor sounds a lot better!
All three words, aim, purpose, intentions are not definitive as to what they look like, but, there is one commonality. They all move us in a direction and that is the point of the "To" in this verse. Movement towards the "Me." My aim may be off and I may miss the mark but with practice I will get better. My purpose may be flawed but the closer I get to "Me" that will be corrected. And as for my intentions.... well "Me" knows everyone of them better than I do myself. Romans 8:28 We are assured and know that [ God being a partner in my labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for me who loves God and is called according to [His] design and purpose.
That says to me that, my aim may be off but He is patient and shows me mercy. It says that, my purpose may be misguided but He will redirect me and give me grace. It tells me that, my intentions may be flawed but He forgives me.

No comments: