Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Outer Collapse - Inner Strength Part 5

My outer collapses take place because my inner strength cannot sustain them.
Okay enough of the outer collapses part. It's time to look at the inner strength side. My inner strength is nothing. I am like Paul when it comes to inner strength. I do the things I don't want to do and don't do the things I do want to do. The only inner strength that I have is from the Father. One of my favorite verses is Philippians 2:13 Amp. [Not in your own strength] for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you [energizing and creating in you the power and desire], both to will and to work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight.
While David would cry out things like, "My strength comes from you O God" He would also commit adultery and murder. And God was okay with it. He refers to David as a man after God's own heart. To me that speaks volumes about God. He is not looking at the outer collapses of David but at the inner strength of a man who in spite of the outer collapses always turned back to God. While we all know the outer collapses of David we know better the stories of his inner strengths. The lion, the bear, Goliath and so on.
In the western world we are so consumed with the outer. Even some churches require "the look" in order to be on staff or on the stage for a service. God apparently is looking beyond skin deep. On your own you can read all of I Corinthians 29:16-18 but I wanted to share one line from it. I know, dear God, that you care nothing for the surfaceyou want us, our true selves—and so I have given from the heart, honestly and happily.
Three more verses that reference God looking at the inner strength of a mans heart, intentions and attitudes.

Jeremiah 11:20 But, O LORD Almighty, you who judge righteously and test the heart and mind, let me see your vengeance upon them, for to you I have committed my cause.
It would appear that some of my outer collapse opportunities may come as test of my heart. As a thermometer or measuring stick of how much inner strength I really have and...... where does it come from. I can be a pretty self sufficient person. It's great to say Philippians 2:13 is a favorite verse but is that because it sounds good to my ears or is it because I believe it in my heart?
1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.
A little scary when you think about it. God being the He, will bring to light, not may bring to light, but will as sure as I will die some day, what is hidden in darkness, darkness inside me, and will expose the motives of my heart. My first thought is, will He do that in private or will it be public? Then I realize that it should not matter if "To Him I have committed my cause."
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
The word of God, living and active inside of me. Not just some words on a piece of paper and certainly not some memorization exercise to give me more knowledge. Words of life, words that are active. Words that are effectually at work IN ME. Creating and energizing in me the power and desire! Both to will and work!

No comments: