Monday, October 8, 2007

The Elijah Proclamation! - Part 1

Through-out my life I have been compared to various men of God in the Bible by others. Then at various times in life I would search the men of God to see who I might compare to at that time of my life. I can't tell you why I have this idea that things would be easier or that I would understand better if a biblical man of God experienced what I am thinking is the same as where I am. Over the years I have put myself in the company of David, Job, Noah, and oh yes Jonah. That list is not all inclusive. I think one reason I like to associate with these men of God is because of the outcome of their circumstances. God did not fail one of them. They all came out on top. So by association I kinda get a sense that God will not fail me and I will come out on top. I'm fully aware that it's a false sense, but can't a man have a little dilusion now and then?
My latest attempt to compare myself to a man of God has been Elijah. Perhaps that was brought on by my son announcing that there new baby will be a boy and his name will be Elijah. The day after that I was going to a verse in the Word and opened up to just anywhere to begin my search and it was Malachi 4:5-6 "Behold I will send you Elijah the prophet Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to their fathers." Of course I called my son and gave him the verse as though OUR Elijah is in some way connected to those words.
Well for whatever reason I have been drawn to the story of Elijah once again in my life. Whether it's a God thing or just comfort for me as I relate to this man of God, I can't tell you. But does it really matter? Not to me at this time.
Elijah "The Lord is my God!" That's what his name means. There had been no prophet since Moses like Elijah. Elijah would speak for God fearlessly. He spoke outrageously against Baal. The people of the region believed that Baal was god so GOD sent Elijah to show them differently. You have to understand that Baal was considered the god over the dew and the rain. So when Elijah boldly proclaims, "As the Lord God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, except by my word." it's an in your face challenge to King Ahab and to the peoples belief in their god Baal. Ahab was a firm believer and follower of Baal. I look at Elijah and wonder if I could have done what he did. He gave no explanation as to why, but was one really needed? Would Ahab understand from Elijah's brief words that God was calling him into account?
If I were Elijah I would have thought that I was going to be well taken care of. The King and the people would be wanting to be on my good side especially as the water began to get scarce. Now that thought would come after I got past the thought that they may just think I'm crazy and kill me on the spot. If Elijah is anything like me, and I'm not presuming that he was, then what came next was a complete surprise. I sure could use a little insight as to how Elijah knew so adamantly that challenging king Ahab so bluntly was what he was to do. I guess if you're not that adamant or confident you better not attempt such a task.

No comments: