Monday, June 11, 2007

Yet To Be Titled

I had the weekend to think about this subject of being disappointed with God. The definition that I closed with on Friday kept ringing in my ears. Disappointment occurs when the actual experience of something falls far short of what we anticipate. Let me say it as I heard it. Ed's disappointment occurs when daily circumstances and everyday life with and in God fall far short, is less than expected, not what I signed up for. I might as well be saying "God You missed it. I think over the years because of books, cd's, teaching, training etc.. I have developed a picture of God and what He does and even how He does it. And when He was to do it as well. My view of God has been shaped and molded by life situations which include victories, defeats, high moments, low moments, right and wrong thoughts, teaching and perceptions and every other experience life has given. I will be the first to admit that my view of God has been and still is less than perfect and is more certainly skewed downward than what it could or should be. While I believe I have the mind of Christ according to His word I am painfully aware that it is only to the degree of understanding or knowledge that my mind can comprehend. Let's leave this for a later time and get back to the focus of the book. I do not want to spend time making excuses for why I or anyone else may have at times been disappointed with God.
The book offers a few words of caution. This is not a book of apologetics, so we are not making the case for there being or not being a God. The book and my journaling leaves no room for there to not be an Almighty God who has a purpose and a plan for our lives. Secondly this is not a book to decide whether God performs miracles. It is taken for granted that God has supernatural power and it is His to intervene with when He wills. Our only question should be why aren't God's interventions "ordinaries" rather than "miracles"? And the book is not attempting to present balanced Christian faith. Philip points out that he is writing the book for people who have at one time or another heard the silence of God. He says that studying the book of Job to learn about faith is like studying the history of civilization by examining only the wars. On the other hand there are studies that talk about nothing but the victories and nothing of the wars. This book is about faith and it's done through the eyes of those who doubt and have felt disappointment with God.
GOD WITHIN THE SHADOWS-
I love this statement by Annie Dillard. "You do not have to sit outside in the dark. If, however, you want to look at the stars, you will find that darkness is required. The stars neither require it nor demand it."
This is a Selah (pause and think on that) moment. The words stir the spirit within me. My heart beats a little faster and my mind comes to life in search of some hidden meaning as I read them.

No comments: