Monday, July 2, 2007

Yet To Be Titled

The idea of me getting everything I want or having more than I could every imagine or expect in the past led me to believe that I'd be more for God. I mean I could certainly do more for Him if I had more? Right? I know at age 55 that, that is not true. There have been times in my life when I had more than I had expected and yes we did more but we also got distracted in other things.
In chapter nine - ONE SHINNING MOMENT we only need to look at Solomon to see that as well. At age 18 he became the richest person in his time. He wrote 1005 songs and 3000 proverbs.Queen Sheba said it this way, " The report I heard in my own country about your achievements and you wisdom is true. But I did not believe these things until I came and saw with my own eyes. Indeed not even half was told to me; in wisdom and wealth you have exceeded the report I heard. She was so impressed that when she left she gave Solomon four and a half tons of pure gold.
Solomon went out of his way to make God feel loved. He built a lavish temple and when the Glory of God came down to fill the temple, the priest were driven back by the blast. Solomon's temple was the center of God's activity on earth. God then says, "I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple... My eyes and heart will always be there." And thus God had done all that He had promised to Abraham and Moses. The Israelites had land, a nation, and secure boundaries AND A GLEAMING SYMBOL OF GOD'S PRESENCE AMONG THEM.
Solomon with everything imaginable should have no problem following God, right? WRONG! By the end of Solomon's reign Solomon had squandered away almost every advantage. The man who wrote romantic songs of love had set all records for promiscuity. Seven hundred wives and three hundred concubines and to please the foreign wives he introduced idol worship into God's holy city.
In a single generation Solomon took Israel from a desperate kingdom to a self sufficient political power. But along the way he lost sight to that which God had called him. By the time Solomon died Israel was more like the Egypt they had escaped from. After Solomon died Israel spilt into two and proceeded to decay into ruin.
Oscar Wilde said this. "In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. Power, status and getting whatever Solomon wanted gradually made him less dependent on God and more on the things around him. Success eliminated disappointment with God but it also seemed to eliminate the very desire for God at all. From this time forward God turns away from Kings and focuses on His prophets.
At some point I will share about this past week from personal experience but I don't want to get ahead of the book at this time. I think to summarize what I've gotten from the book so far is to say I'm experiencing it as I read it. Disappointment, wilderness, provision, faith, questions and through it all I come out today feeling stronger in the Lord that two weeks ago. Perhaps it's maturity even as slow as it seems to be coming that I'm experiencing. I have a renewed sense of confidence. Maybe God's words to me of, "Be still and know" are sinking in.

No comments: