Tuesday, July 17, 2007

THE TRANSFER - Chapter 18

Seventy have been commissioned by Jesus. He says, "I am sending you out like lambs among the wolves. Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road."
"I (Jesus)..... am sending..... (YOU/ED) OUT!" "OUT?" "Yes, out of what is comfortable. Out of what is familiar. And... you are like a lamb among the wolves." "Then don't send me out!" Seems like a wise and logical response?
"Ed.... do not take a purse or bag or sandals." "OK let me get this straight. You want me to go out among the wolves who will kill for a meal. And you're telling me that I am like a lamb which says to me that I am not prepared or equipped to defend myself or even care for myself. AND... in addition that, you do not want me to take any provisions that just might better allow me to care for myself?" "You got it."
"Ed... one last thing. Do not greet anyone on the road." "Don't greet anyone? I'll be lucky to live long enough to even see anyone."
There is no room for questions as Jesus continues on saying, "He who listens to you listens to Me; he who rejects you, rejects Me; but he who rejects me rejects Him who sent me." So is that supposed to give me some comfort? What does it mean? I'm about to become dead meat for a pack of wolves and Jesus is giving me gibberish.
Off we go... OUT! OUT... a lamb among the wolves. BUT... in a few days we all return unscathed by the wolves. Jesus listens intently to the details of each of our stories. Healings, exorcisms, and transformed lives! A new found strength makes this a celebration a victory party. Jesus then announces, "I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven." Again what does that have to do with anything? All I can figure is that we must have passed some kind of test, that some sort of breakthrough must have occurred. Then He leans into the group and says in a quiet voice, "Many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it." HUH?
This scene of Sending the Seventy as well as the Last Supper and the Ascension help us to get a better understanding of why Jesus came to earth, and why He left. While He came to show us what God is like, He also came to establish a Church, a dwelling place for the Spirit of God. So when Jesus said, "He who listens to you listens to Me" He was very excited. He was seeing His mission, His own life, being lived out through seventy commonplace human beings.
At the Ascension, Jesus body left the earth. But, at Pentecost, the Spirit of God took up residence in other bodies. THE TRANSFER took place. Today we benefit greatly by that transfer. Today we, have the Spirit of God dwelling in us, working through us, interceding for us!
Jesus said, "I confer on you a kingdom, just as My Father conferred on Me."

No comments: