Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Fire and the Word - Chapter 10

I was told that I had to title these things so that it would be easier to follow along.
This chapter does not do much for answering any questions. In fact it is all about the prophets of old and how they basically asked the very same questions that we ask today. So am I to believe that, that's the way it has always been and that's the way it will always be?
Isaiah says, "Truly you are a God who hides himself" "Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains would tremble before you!"
Jeremiah compares God to a weakling, "a man taken by surprise... a warrior powerless to save."
Habakkuk challenges God to explain why, as he put it, "justice never prevails." How long, O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong?
The Israelites and today us all live on the victory stories of the Word. Freed from slavery, promised lands, slaying the giant, blind men seeing, etc., etc.
Being a man of God does not make it easier as the prophets dealt with disappointment with God right along side everyday people. Jeremiah says, Since my people are crushed, I am crushed; I mourn, and horror grips me... Oh that my head were a spring of water and my eyes a fountain of tears! I would weep day and night for the slain of my people.... My heart is broken within me; all my bones tremble. I am like a drunken man, like man overcome by wine.
So... that's the way it's always been and maybe will always be. I am not satisfied with that strategy or philosophy. I am drawn to another thought. Where are the men of God who would weep day and night for the people? Where are the men of God who are crushed because their people are crushed? Where are the men of God who's hearts are broken, who's bones tremble for the people?
While we have started a Prayer Center and we pray a lot for the people I can not say that I weep day and night, that I am crushed, or that my heart is broken. I am still pretty comfortable in the western culture and in the way that I spend time with God for the people. Sure there are moments of tears but not like fountains as Jeremiah describes. Ezekiel watched the Glory of God rise, hover above the temple for a moment and then vanish. As I read that, I'm all over it, wondering how he got to that place and what I need to do to see God's glory hover if only for a moment over the Prayer Center. Yes the victory stories are much more palatable than that of Jeremiah's broken heart and trembling bones that he felt for his people.

No comments: