Friday, April 27, 2007

Troubled Believer Weekend Review

Instead of moving forward to verse 4 I need to "Selah" ( pause and consider that) on verses 1,2and 3 for the weekend.
I already shared my question as to what does the Psalmist mean when He says, "In the day of trouble I sought the Lord." My insinuation was that the Psalmist was, shall we say, in less relationship than he could have been. I must rescind and apologize for that and say that it is presumptuous of me to think, say or insinuate that. In verse 1 the Psalmist states, "And He gave me ear." God had already responded to the Psalmist voice crying out. It could be that the Psalmist is just making it clear for my benefit that when the day of trouble comes I must search for the provider not the provision. That there is no security in what God is doing only in who He is. That's sounds great but it is a mouthful to real believe, understand and live that. When he says, "I sought the Lord" he's saying the same thing as "I cried out." And later he says, "I remembered God." Three times he focuses my attention toward God. Cry out to God, search for God and remember God. All three have passion in them. All three are verbs. All three are words of action. But, not toward finding a solution or an answer for the trouble. The action of all three is clear Cry to GOD, search for GOD, and remember GOD. That being said, brings us to the next point.

My soul refused to be comforted. The soul is the mind, will and emotions.
So what the Psalmist was saying is that his mind would not be comforted. His thoughts the places his mind was going to only brought his more trouble. Could it be that his mind was thinking the wrong thoughts? What about taking every thought captive to the will of God. How about having the mind of Christ and our thoughts being established in Him and our steps being ordered by Him?
His will would not be comforted. Could it be that his will was not God's will? The things that were causing the trouble... were they self centered? What were the intentions of the heart? James talks about asking and not receiving because we ask amiss that we would spend it on our pleasures.
His emotions would not be comforted. Is it just possible that he had worked himself into a frenzy? Perhaps he had a tad of fear about things to come? Maybe worry had set in? Could it be that the Psalmist was taking on responsibility that was not his? You8 know how we do that. We give a situation to God today or this hour and then take it back tomorrow.
Revelation 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

No comments: